Slow Cooker North African Chicken Stew Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Yield: Makes five servings
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 chicken thighs, (about 4 1/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1 package (1 1/4 pounds) fresh butternut squash chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) chick peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 large shallot or small onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Combine cumin, salt, cinnamon and cayenne in a small cup and sprinkle some of it over chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients except cilantro to slow cooker and sprinkle with remaining spice mixture. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or LOW 6 to 8 hours until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cilantro and serve over couscous if desired.
Add some richness to this stew by stirring in a Tablespoon or 2 of natural peanut butter before serving.
Copyright 2012-2017 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.