Pork Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 to 8 H on Low
- Yield: Serves 6
- Serving Size: 2 tortillas
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped or sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- Several cilantro sprigs
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- Put pork, onion, orange juice, oregano, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper into 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Using your hands, rub spices into meat.
- Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 8 hours or until pork is very tender.
- Lift pork out of liquid in slow cooker onto a cutting board. Break meat into smaller chunks.
- Lightly char tortillas over an open flame on a gas range or in a hot nonstick skillet over high heat.
- To assemble, spoon 1/2 cup pork onto each tortilla. Top each with 1/4 cup lettuce, and 1 Tablespoon each onion and tomato. Top with cilantro sprigs and drizzle with defatted juices from slow cooker if desired. Squeeze lime over filling and fold to eat.
Serve as is or to make it more traditional by frying the slow cooked pork in 2 Tablespoons oil in a large skillet, pressing down with a spatula until browned and crispy, about 8 minutes. Then place on tortillas with lettuce, onion, tomato and cilantro.