Vegetarian Root Vegetable Gyozas (Japanese Dumplings) Recipe
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Approximately 30-40 dumplings
- 6 ounces carrots (about two medium), peeled
- 6 ounces baby-bella mushrooms (or crimini or white button mushrooms), wiped clean
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts, rinsed and dried
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- Gyoza wrappers (Japanese dumpling wrappers) - these are thin, round, approximately 3 1/2-inch
- dough circles usually sold frozen in Asian markets. One package (approximately 14 ounces) is
- usually more than adequate. Make sure they are defrosted.
- 5 Tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar (the sweetened seasoned kind works well)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- Pinch sugar (to taste)
- Line a large sheet pan with waxed paper.
- In a food processor fitted with blade attachment, grind the mushrooms, carrots and Brussel sprouts each separately and in that order. Empty the food processor bowl after grinding each single ingredient.
- In a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the vegetables and cook until tender. Turn off heat and stir in soy sauce, sesame oil, and corn starch. Leave to cool.
- Place about 1-2 teaspoons of filling into the center of a gyoza wrapper. Using a finger dipped in water, moisten around the edge of the gyoza and fold into a half-moon shape. Press the round edge together to seal, then crimp five times with your fingers by making small pleats and pinching them together. Set the dumpling on the prepared sheet pan so that the pleats are up and slightly press down so the filling flattens and the dumpling will stand up. Repeat with the remaining filling. You can freeze dumplings at this point and then transfer them to a bag or container once frozen.
Cook and Serve:
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add about 1 Tablespoon oil and swirl to coat. Place as many dumplings as will fit in the pan, leaving about 1/2 inch between them. Cook about 5 minutes, then add about 1/3 cup water and immediately cover the pan. Steam the dumplings this way for about 5-7 minutes and then uncover, allow remaining water to boil off. Combine and stir ingredients for dipping sauce in small bowl. Serve on a platter with dipping sauce in a small bowl.
Copyright 2012-2019 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.