Wilton Chai-Spiced Swirl Pumpkin Pie
- Yield: Makes 8-10 servings.
- 1/2 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie crust or 1/2 recipe Flaky Pie Crust
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 3 eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whipped cream, to serve (optional)
Flaky pie crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, cold and cut into 1/4 in. pieces
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, cold and cut into 1/4 in. pieces
- 8-10 Tablespoons cold water
For pie filling
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Fit a 9-in. pie pan with pie dough, fluting edges of dough.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup brown sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, cardamom, and clove until smooth. Beat in 1 egg and 1/4 cup heavy cream until smooth.
- In medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, salt, remaining 2 eggs, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon until smooth. Whisk 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture into pumpkin mixture, and pour pumpkin mixture into prepared pie pan. Drop cream cheese mixture onto pumpkin mixture by tablespoonfuls, and use a small spatula to swirl together.
- Bake 20 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer, or until center of pie jiggles only slightly.
- Cool completely in pan on cooling grid. Serve with whipped cream and sprinkled with additional cinnamon, if desired.
For flaky pie crust
- In large bowl, stir flour and salt together. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter and shortening into flour until mixture resembles cornmeal. Add 8 tablespoons cold water and stir until mixture holds together in large clumps. Add additional water tablespoon by tablespoon if the dough is still dry. Divide dough into two discs, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour.
- To make pie, roll first disc to a 14 in. circle, about 1/8 in. thick. Place in pie plate, pressing firmly into the sides and bottom of the pan.
- For open-faced pies, fill crust with prepared filling, garnish with additional dough cut outs and bake.
- For double-crust pies, fill bottom crust with prepared filling. Roll second crust to 1/8 in. thick; cut holes to vent filling with small cutter. Place crust over filling and crimp edges of top and bottom crusts together tightly. Bake until crust is golden brown.
- Makes enough dough for 1 double-crust pie or 2 open-faced pies.
Copyright 2012-2017 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.