Your two favorite stadium treats - merged in a killer riff on Pigs in Blankets? Um, yes please! You really can’t go wrong with these Hot Pretzel wrapped Hot Dogs for game-day…or any day!
1 1/2 cups warm (not hot!) water
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 package active dry yeast
4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup baking soda
16 bun-length hot dogs
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 Tablespoon water
Pretzel salt or sea salt
Assorted mustards, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Combine water, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let mixture rest for 5 minutes or until yeast begins to foam.
- Add flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Continue to knead on medium speed for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl. Remove dough from the mixer, place in a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water, add baking soda, and bring to a boil.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, pat into a circle, and divide into 16 equal pieces. Working one by one, pull each piece of dough into a 12” rope shape. Wind dough rope around a hot dog and press ends to close. Drop into boiling water (one dough-wrapped hot dog at a time) and cook for 30 seconds. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces and hot dogs. Brush the top of each pretzel dog with beaten egg yolk mixture and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake until medium golden brown in color, approximately 15 minutes. Serve warm with mustard for dipping.
Pretzel Dogs can be made ahead and reheated in a warm oven for ~10 minutes before serving. To test water temperature for yeast, dip your finger into it –it should feel like warm (not hot!) bathwater.
Above & Beyond
Latest posts by Above & Beyond (see all)
- The Recipe File: Terrific Tomato Dishes - August 17, 2014
- Heirloom Tomatoes Stuffed with Lump Crab Salad Recipe - August 16, 2014
- Kick Off College Football Season with Themed Gear - August 12, 2014