12 Days of Cookies: Ginger Sparkles Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 34 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Toss the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on high speed until combined and creamy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl as needed. Once mixed, add the brown sugar and molasses and beat on medium speed until combined. Beat in the egg, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Turn the mixer off and pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly beat until a soft dough is formed.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 1 Tablespoon of dough each. Roll each ball in the granulated sugar and place 8 balls of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake each batch for 11-12 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Copyright 2012-2015 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.