Tex Mex Breakfast Potato Casserole Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small poblano pepper, diced, (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 6 ounces chorizo, diced (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
- 8 ounces frozen shredded potatoes, thawed (about 3 cups)
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10-inch deep dish pie plate or shallow 1-quart baking dish with butter or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add chorizo to skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a large bowl until blended. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, the pepper and onion mixture, chorizo, potatoes, cilantro and salt. Pour into baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake 10 minutes or until slightly puffed and golden.
Copyright 2012-2014 Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. and its subsidiaries.
This casserole would also make a nice lunch dish. Top with salsa and serve with a salad on the side.